Friday 11 October 2013

Proper home-made custard

Something that I've been meaning to attempt since long before this blog even started is making my own custard. I've just been waiting for the right moment to try it.
Finally with Autumn approaching and the whiff of crumble and pie in the air I felt that the time was right.

I used a simple, classic recipe for my custard. The only change I made to it was adding extra vanilla as at first taste I didn't feel that it had enough. Also, this doesn't make a really thick, rich custard. I will have a go at a different recipe for a richer custard soon, though I believe if you just add a touch more cornflour and/or an extra egg yolk that will do the trick.


  • Ingredients:

    570ml/1 pint milk
  • 55ml/2fl oz single cream
  • 1 vanilla pod or ½ tsp vanilla extract (I used 1tsp)
  • eggs, yolks only
  • 30g/1oz caster sugar
  • 2 level tsp cornflour


    Method:

    1. Bring the milk, cream and vanilla pod to simmering point slowly over a low heat.
    2. Remove the vanilla pod if using. 
    3. Whisk the yolks, sugar and cornflour together in a bowl until well blended.
    4. Pour the hot milk and cream on to the eggs and sugar, whisking all the time with a balloon whisk.
    5. Return to the pan, (add vanilla extract if using) and over a low heat gently stir with a wooden spatula until thickened (it coats the back of the spoon without dripping straight off).
    6. Pour the custard into a jug and serve at once.
    7. To keep hot, stand the jug in a pan of hot water and cover the top with cling film to prevent skin forming.

      The main thing that goes wrong with custard making is the egg scrambling when the hot milk/cream is added. I managed to avert this by not having the mix get too hot at any point. 
      It does take time and patience to make your own custard but the sense of pride and satisfaction you get when serving it with a home made cake or pie makes it completely worth it. 

      Feel free to play with the flavours when you've mastered the technique, I made a second batch using all milk (semi skimmed) no cream to make it a bit healthier. Or you could go the other way and make it with all cream no milk. 
                                 


                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment